Monday, April 23, 2007

The Young and Uninsured

Kelley, Lauren, and Sara's informative presentation today reminded me of an article I'd read recently. It is from New York magazine and discusses how many young people don't have healthcare.

It makes interesting points about the ineffectiveness of our healthcare system and how as a group, our generation has been passed up. It also talks about how we generally think that we are healthy and don't need any type of care (as Kelley mentioned). I know it's a long article, but it is definitely worth your time!

http://nymag.com/news/features/29723/

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy Byers said...

I think this article brings up interesting points. We young adults do tend to believe that we are invincible and that health insurance is just a waste of money because our youth. Few think about what would happen if an emergency happened, many would be unsecure finacially in the years to come if such an emergency happened. For most though we are still covered under our parents insurance if we are full time students, but it just got me thinking about what risks are not worth taking.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Jordan K said...

I definitely agree. As someone who has been covered under my parents insurance my entire life I never thought about having to pay for health insurance until I began to come to the realization that i would have to pay my own bills at some point. Which led me to wonder why some sort of hybrid Health care that was half universal half private couldn't work??? There are enough govt programs that pay for the underprivileged and a lot of learning hospitals are a lower-cost health care option. The universal care might not be as good but it would be better than nothing. Food stamps are not as good as restaurants, but it's better than starving...

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home