Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Working 9 to 5 = Slacker ?

As most of us will be entering the real world after this semester, so I guess most of us have started job hunting already. Do you guys know that most of the U.S. workforce now work more than 55 hours per week, and they regularly work on Saturdays, or even Sundays ?

Here are two articles about overtime work.
A 9-to-5 job? Dream On
The Workplace: Overworked? You Have Options

I still remember when I worked as a finance trainee in a train corporation in HK one summer, I had to work from 8am to 6pm on weekdays, and half day on Saturdays. Since I had a part-time job teaching little kids Maths on weekday evenings and Sundays at the same time; literally I left 0 hours for myself and I was nothing more than a working zombie.

And I realized a weird situation. I have worked in HK and Japan before, and people just won't leave the office until they saw someone leaving. Anyone have similar experience before ? Or that is just an Asian culture ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home